1) Transparency is one of those words, like "is," that doesn't mean what you think it means.
Courtesy Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.
2) If you are the secretary of state, you can extend your purview to pretty much everything, becoming the de facto president, if you call it all a matter of national security.
Courtesy Hillary Clinton and Todd Stern.
3) You can flout whatever laws you want and totally get away with it IF you're deemed important enough that the nation can't do without you.
Courtesy Timothy Geithner.
4) You can garner at least some political goodwill in the last week of your unincarcerated life by claiming to have considered naming Oprah to the senate.
Courtesy Rod Blagojovech.
5) You can disregard the wishes and welfare of your constituents and volunteer to give terrorists a comfy home in your back yard and get away with it because the country already knows you're operating on only one cylinder.
Courtesy Jack Murtha.
6) You can solidify your position with your base by promoting billions of dollars in spending on birth control and claiming it will be an economic stimulus (despite the fact that other countries will vociferously disagree).
Courtesy Nancy Pelosi.
7) The way to help the ailing auto industry is to saddle it with more restrictions on mileage and emissions while pumping billions of dollars into its other end.
Courtesy U. S. Congress.
8) A woman can never please everyone by what she wears. Especially the "ethnic" design lobby.
Courtesy Michelle Obama.
9) If you're a criminal, it's called "recidivism." If you're a terrorist, it's called "resettlement."
Courtesy ACLU and friends.
10) You can duck out as fast and as cluelessly as you ducked in.
Courtesy Caroline K. Schlossberg.
There are more, but my brain is full.
Labels: Political Observation